Get new posts by email:

Violence Therapy

As it goes in life, I'm going through some pretty unpleasant stuff these days. In the past, I've handled such stress in less than ideal ways. Though it's true that gaming encourages long periods of physical inactivity, it also encourages creative problem-solving, sharpens reflexes and provides a good outlet for anger.

The Kubler-Ross model of the stages of grief lists anger as one of the stages. And whole I don't want to overshare, I can say that I am mourning certain losses and trying to manage the antipathy they entail. There's nothing more freeing than bathing virtual reality in NPC antagonist blood.

AC Odyssey is one of the most satisfyingly violent games I've played to date. Sure, drawing down on outlaws in Red Dead Redemption 2 is fun and random acts of lawlessness in Grand Theft Auto V thrills my repressed inner criminal, but there is nothing like beating a mercenary's brains in with a staff. Or beheading them. Or draw and quartering them...okay you'd need four horses to draw and quarter someone properly but you get my drift.

Aside from killing polemarchs and cultists, there are also some good boss battles with mythical beasts and legendary animals. So if you're looking for some enemies to whoop up on, AC Odyssey definitely fulfills that need.

Comments

Popular Posts