Get new posts by email:

Is Geralt Incapable of Setting Boundaries?

Now, hear me out, please, before you dislike what I'm gonna say or tell me I'm overthinking things (which I probably am 😊). As a byproduct of my recent break up, I'm digging deep into setting personal boundaries. It's definitely something I've got to work on.

So, I noticed something today as I'm picking my way for the second time through the gorgeous open world that is THE WITCHER 3 THE WILD HUNT. More often than not Geralt is given the choice to accept a side quest or Witcher contract. The player is offered the option to have Geralt say, "I can't help you" or "I don't have time for this." Of course if you choose these options you'll wind up wildly under-leveled for the main quests that you have no choice to accept if you want to complete the game. So you choose "How can I help?" or "What do you need me to do?"

This, however, doesn't just happen in the game. It also happens more insidiously during the first season of THE WITCHER TV series on Netflix. What springs to mind is Season 1 Episode 4 OF BANQUETS, BASTARDS AND BURIALS. The scene I'm thinking of involves Duny and Pavetta where Duny in his hedgehog form declares the Law of Surprise and comes to claim Pavetta as his wife. Turns out Pavetta loves Duny, but not the point. Queen Calanthe orders Geralt to kill Duny and Geralt says something along the lines of "I'm not getting involved."

Geralt, of course, does get involved once all hell breaks loose. Yes, he does side with the hedgehog knight, staying true to his principles, but he violates his own boundary by, say it with me, getting involved.

And this example isn't unique to THE WITCHER 3. Every open world game does it, but with 90+ hours of content, it happens a lot more in this game. I am of course being a little tongue in cheek about this topic, but I do think it's a case of art imitating life. And, yes, video games are an art form.

Just as in the game, perhaps we cross boundaries IRL due to fear of missing out. In THE WITCHER, the "fear" is you'll miss out on XP and won't be able to progress in the game. IRL, well, it's whatever experience this person is offering you. Maybe it's so unique you'll think never have the opportunity again. Or maybe it's adjacent to what you've always wanted so you set aside your reservations and dive in.

Do I really believe we are conditioned by video games or other media to ignore our common sense? No, I don't subscribe to that school of thought. I tend to lean in the direction that entertainment is a safe space to act out our fears, desires, and wildest fantasies.

Anyway, food for thought. Just as we should live mindfully so should we game.

Please feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments below. And as always, please share, subscribe or follow via the button on the sidebar. Gamers and thinkers gotta stick together :)

Twitter: @cindyjacks

Comments

Popular Posts