Get new posts by email:

Game Binge 2020 - Psio Therapy! Persona 5 (original edition)

So life has hit a rough patch as life is wont to do. In a previous blog entry I spoke about the violence in games like AC Odyssey and GTAV being rather therapeutic and I still stand by that assertion, but there's also something to be said for just plain good writing in a video game.

I experienced it a bit with God of War: the sensation that somewhere out there someone understands what I'm going through. But just as with the AC series, GoW is so wonderfully battle-laden that taking my frustrations out on AI overshadowed the insight of the writers. It's for that reason that when Rin recommended... nay, commanded that I play Persona 5 in preparation for the March 2020 release of Persona 5 Royale I balked at the turn based battle game that centers around teens and high school and something to do with stealing hearts and fighting mythical beasts. What in the world would this game have to offer a middle-aged woman? Turns out quite a lot.

I've come as close to no-lifing this game as a Mom and part-time folder of t-shirts can. The quality of the writing and research that went into crafting Persona 5 is nothing short of amazing. There's real science and psience and mythology that informs this tour de force. Rin had had to nag me to eat, to sleep and yes, I'm ashamed to admit it, even to shower. This game is that freaking absorbing.

Since the push back of Cyberpunk 2077 and the Last of Us 2, I've been searching for a game to capture my attention and tune into my emotions as much as The Witcher 3 did. And because the game gives you so many decisions to make about how you spend your time--aside from a cat forcing you to sleep... seriously Morgana, I'm a grown ass woman!-- how you develop your skills and relationships is as close to real life as any game I've played thus far. But then you get to do cool stuff like don a leather duster coat and wear Mardi Gras like masks and fight mythical beings to save people from themselves.

What's so refreshing about the game is you don't defeat enemies just for the sheer sake of blood and guts. You actually wind up saving the bosses you battle which is fulfilling on a whole other level. I am 85 hours into this game and I'm itching to play as I write this like the junkie I've become. Will the end live up to the quirky beginning and rich meaty center of the gameplay? I certainly hope so!

Comments

Popular Posts