Get new posts by email:

It's a Hard Rain That's Gonna Fall

Okay so the game title is HEAVY RAIN but still makes me think of that Bob Dylan song. I burned my way through half the PlayStation store two-fer BEYOND TWO SOULS. No big surprises in the storytelling, but I stayed engaged for the whole ten hours. Let's see if HEAVY RAIN can give me a repeat respite from the world and my woes.

Working through the prologue and opening chapter, I formed a theory of who's killing the kids and why, but let's see if they can surprise me.

As for opening gameplay, it did feel good to kick Troy's ass as he attempted to knock around Lauren. Side note: Anyone else think that a 10 minute timer is a little stingy even for a fifty dollar hooker? I also have to say I disagree with Shaun. What happened to Jason is 100% Dad's fault. At least if I'd been the mother in that situation that's how I would have seen it.

This game was gloriously dark and moody which fit my current attitude to a tee. I enjoyed every minute of it EXCEPT the big reveal. Why? Because the writers of the story employed what's known as "the unreliable narrator" technique in a way it was never intended to be used.

In traditional writing and film making the unreliable narrator device is a solid way to weave a tale with a surprise ending. But that only works with a story being TOLD to the audience. If, as in a video game, the audience inhabits the killer's body and controls their actions then alleging that this character did something "off camera" or outside the narrative DOESN'T WORK.

I applaud Sony Interactive Entertainment for pushing the envelope of storytelling and for creating what is a magnificent experience, but the failed rope-a-dope irritated me so much I almost didn't want to finish the game and save poor Shaun.

Comments

Popular Posts