Get new posts by email:

Gorging on Games

Given all the free time I've had due to personal issues and now the measures to stop the spread of COVID-19, I've gone on a gaming binge. I've been remiss in posting about much of it, but in the last month or so I've played AC Odyssey, AC Origins, God of War, Persona 5, Yakuza Kiwami 1 &2 and now Yakuza 3 remastered. This may be just another day at the office for many gamers, but to me, it's heaven. What I've noticed most from this onslaught of sensory stimulation is the feeling that somewhere out there are people who have felt just as I've felt, my own personal Island of Misfit Toys with Hermey G.D.D.S.t.B (Gay Doctor of Dental Science to Be) who would understand what it's like to cry and scream into a pillow every night out of sheer frustration. Not that I'm trying to evoke a mental image of Hermey face-down on a pillow because that would be plain inappropriate and insensitive. I just meant he would understand the feeling of hopelessness, one that would drive someone to grab their pillow and scream into it. You wouldn't even have to be face down, ass up to do that. Really, you wouldn't. You know what I'm saying, right? Whatever. I made that awkward. So...ummm...yeah.

Anyhoo, what each of these games has in common is a protagonist who follows what they feel is right, regardless of whether their social group supports their ideals. In the AC stories, it's larger political structures that challenge our heroes whereas in Persona 5 and the Yakuza games, it's the protagonists own peer group that causes that internal struggle.

I suppose gorging on games is just another way to escape from a reality that is too often indifferent and at times hostile. But it's better than drinking one's trouble away or imbibing large quantities of sedatives. So while the world is stuck a holding pattern, waiting to inhale without fear of virus-laden droplets, it's not a bad time to explore all the games I missed during my Florence Henderson days. Unfortunately, this copious amount of free time tends to slip away without structure or purpose. I'm scraping the bottom of my self-discipline barrel to enact a more productive schedule. It's easy to fall down the gaming rabbit-hole, not so easy to climb one's way out. I'mma try my best to be productive. Or should I say I'mma do my best since as we all know, do or do not, there is no try.
https://youtu.be/9q41SwDf2CU

Comments

Popular Posts