Get new posts by email:

Gaming through Grief

Another personal tragedy struck last weekend, just when I was feeling a little less sad about the loss of my mother. I took a week off from gaming to process this fresh loss, but today I finally made it out of bed and got my PS4 hooked up to the TV in the living room.

I stared at my starchart on Warframe, trying to muster the energy to level up stuff. Once I broke through the torpor of grief and clicked the node for Hydron, I put on my rock playlist and spammed circle until my thumb hurt. Several hours slid by in a blur of grineer body parts, screeching crazy cat ladies and death howls from Nox.

Though it's no fix for the sea of trials and tribulations this week holds, gaming provided me with a much needed escape. And it got me out of the bedroom which quite frankly is starting to smell like a three day old burrito. Or maybe it's me that smells less than fresh. Either way, I'm grateful to have an alternative to a reality that is all too heavy and dark right now.

Comments

Popular Posts