Get new posts by email:

The Last Thing I Want

"I need no one and the last thing I want is someone needing me." Geralt of Rivia, THE WITCHER, TV show, Netflix.

Yes, this line is from the TV show, but it really spoke to me as to why the game is so magical. And why it speaks to those of us who are "social misfits". I accept this about myself. Seems I was "born that way".

Forgive me while I digress a moment. At seventeen my parents had me take the Myers Briggs personality test and I came back ISFP. At the time I didn't much care what those letters meant, but going through the boxes and boxes of memorabilia after Mom and Dad passed, I found the result paperwork and decided to Google it.

Turns out those of us who are Introverted, Sensing, Feeling, and Perceptive tend towards the arts and are socially awkward. Reading this, I sunk my head in my hands. My whole life I'd been running from who I am by nature. It was around that time I started this blog.

So what's all this got to do with THE WITCHER 3 THE WILD HUNT? Well, it's validation for those of us whole truly believe the journey is the destination. Geralt walks The Path, hated wherever he goes. He sticks to his own moral and ethical code. He is capable of acts of great heroism and mercy, but also capable of acts of brutality and destruction. He embraces all of that about himself and he's fine with it. He's also the quintessential lone wolf. He often leads his life with the attitude that he is all he needs and he doesn't want anyone else to rely on him.

While that's not always the healthiest choice in real life, I believe it is very healthy to have a fantasy space to explore total self-reliance. For those of us looking, striving, needing to do more than acquire a big house, a shiny car, a trophy spouse and 2.5 children, we need tales of the triumphant loner to keep us going. Geralt is his own hero. It's time I learn to be mine.

As always, tell me what draws you to this game in the comments below. Or tell me what other game gives you this sense of freedom. Oh and please "Like" and add me to your reading list so we can keep the conversation going.

Comments

Popular Posts