Get new posts by email:

Ray of Light

DYING LIGHT that is. After my unexpected enjoyment of DAYS GONE and my big fat disappointment at trying to play SEKIRO, my goal is find a game to distract me from the memories of May last year. It seemed the worst was over, Mom was at rest, I was gearing up to go back to work (kinda glad that didn't happen, given all the poor retail workers who contracted COVID-19, unsung heroes indeed), Dad seemed to be coping in the way that he always did. A plethora of DIY projects that always turned out beautiful. But then I got the phone call from his best friend and everything went dark for a while.

So...yeah. Trying to avoid all that and what better way to find a path out of the darkness than with a game called DYING LIGHT. Yes, it's a gloomy phrase by definition, but it still has the word 'light' in the title so imma cling to it as my best shot of getting through the last of the memories and guilt and regret and sadness that haunt me. At least I hope it's the last of it. I've been very wrong about this kind of thing in the past.

But no more talk of sad stuff. I've a got a fresh new game (at least fresh to me) AND that game has a sequel coming out this year. To quote the great and powerful Moz, "Please, please, please let me get what I want..." I don't ask too much of life these days, just a game to help me compartmentalize the pain and the words to process my racing thoughts.

So far DYING LIGHT has been absorbing. The opening cutscenes have that hook. And to quote Blues Traveler, "The hook brings you back." Or actually "baaaaaaaaack" as Mr. Popper sings it. Hmmm, I wonder if he has penguins? Sorry...Focus, Foxx!

DYING LIGHT's premise isn't the freshest, but the storytellers seem talented from the get-go and though they may not reinvent the wheel with this game, as long as they put their own spin on it, that's good enough for me.

Comments

Popular Posts