Get new posts by email:

Better Than a Soap Opera

OMG, OMG, OMG! Spoilers ahead so don't read on of you haven't played Assassin's Creed Odyssey and plan to do so.

So, the main story opens with Nikolaos of Sparta allowing his baby daughter to be thrown from a cliff and then tossing his son, Alexios, off the same cliff when the boy tried to safe his sister and caused the death of a priest. Brutal times!

Thus far in the game we've been working toward one goal: get close enough to the Wolf of Sparta to exact revenge. And once I got close enough to dear ol' pater to toss him off a cliff, I chose to do just that. Well, actually Alexios winds up stabbing his father. Or at least the man he thinks is his father. Right before Nikolaos bites the big one, he croaks, "You weren't really mine."

😮😱🤯

Oh my, Myrrine, you've got some 'splaining to do!

Can't wait to find out what secrets shall be revealed.

In the mean time, I'm happy to report I am fighting in fine style. I finished my first conquest battle and didn't even die. I'm killing mercenaries left and right and racking up some pretty nifty armor to boot.

It's true, Rin's tutelage has paid off. Little things like making sure I lock on to my enemies, timing my blocks, and putting skill points toward the right types of damage have made a world of difference.

But in the grand scheme of things, what does all this time and effort spent on learning to be a better gamer really amount to? Well, aside from the proven benefits for hand eye coordination and sharpening reflexes, gaming also keeps my middle-aged mind active and constantly problem solving. These types of activities help stave off memory loss and some forms of brain atrophy as I cross over from middle age to old age. Fact of the matter is, I ain't getting any younger.

Which brings me to my next point: I spent far too much time in my youth sacrificing my own happiness for those I love. Now, I understand that ME time is priceless. I've loved gaming since 1979 when my dad brought home Pong. Yes...Pong, stop laughing. It was cool AF back in the day!

In elementary school, I spent many a morning bleary-eyed from having stayed up to the wee hours of the morning trying to get a frog across a highway and get Mario up endless levels of scaffolding to save Princess Peach.

Video game icons such as Zelda and Sonic the Hedgehog scripted my youth. But as children do, I grew up and put away childish things. Now that I'm in what the Japanese call my second spring, I'm indulging in pleasures I believed lost forever to the ravages of responsibility and time.

Simply put: gaming makes me effin' happy. And immersing myself in new worlds such as Toussaint and Los Santos with their own rich mythos gets my blood pumping and keeps other personal demons at bay.

To quote John Mellancamp, "Oh yeah, life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone." But with quality storytelling, such as that in AC Odyssey, a daily dose of adrenaline, and the comradery available through online gaming, every day holds some kind of thrill for me. And now I know, I deserve to do what love.

Comments

Popular Posts