Get new posts by email:

Down the Rabbithole

GTAV
Starting stats
Rank: 85
$1354225
Goals: Upgrade nightclub staff

Ending stats
Rank: 86
$1478990
Deaths: 1
Achievements: Completed weed sale and several nightclub related missions

Warframe
Rank: 12
Logged in for daily tribute and to collect and deploy extractors.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Rank: 13
Drachmae: 10904

Total hours spent: 7

Progress building missions comprised much of tonight's gameplay. Accumulation of wealth in GTAV and resources and rank-ups in AC Odyssey. What struck me today came during my non-gaming time.

I found myself with a few extra dollars to spend which at first I was inclined to put toward household necessities, but Rin encouraged me to do otherwise.

"Buy something for yourself, Foxx. You deserve it," he said.

As much time as I spend settled in front of my PS4, I do work hard at the EDJ and I still run a household. That means juggling a dozen balls at one time hoping I don't drop one. And 99% of the time if I find myself with extra cash I either save it for those days when unexpected expenses kick me in the face or purchase practical items. Since I'm usually such a responsible adult, I realized Rin was right. I deserved a little treat.

I decided to buy a few items of clothing, but instead of buying a pretty dress or cute shoes as I might've in days past, I went with black leggings and a few soft knit camis to go with them. Why? Because they are oh so comfortable for basking in the glow of my monitor for hours on end.

This isn't the first time my new lifestyle has informed my shopping list. A few weeks ago at work I saw a sweater on clearance that I'd wanted for months and since it ridiculously cheap, I decided to go for it. Not only because I like the color and style, but because it, too, is perfect gaming attire. It's soft, drapey, and the sleeves are a bit long with the little thumbholes which will keep my hands warm but not impede my ability to press controller buttons.

My diet has also changed. Whereas I used to cook complete, nutritionally balanced meals once, if not three times daily, I now stock up on Hot Pockets, Pop Tarts, sandwich fixings, and whatever finger food strikes my fancy. If it's quick and microwaveable and/or can be stuffed in my face one-handed, it's going in the cart.

And the changes to my daily routines don't end with just food and clothes. My sleeping habits are vastly different. I stay up way too late, sleep until I absolutely have to get up for work and plan quick naps on the days I've overdone it the night before.

These changes weren't things I consciously decided, they crept up on me little by little as I carve out more and more time for something I love doing. And I'm well aware these modifications are minor compared to the extremes some folks go to. I have not, as of yet, bought gaming specific furniture, spent thousands of dollars on a laptop, or quit my day job to focus on my YouTube channel. Believe me, I know I've taken baby steps compared to the gamer life that's out there. Can't say I'll ever jump headlong down the rabbithole, but then again I didn't think I'd be with someone half my age at this point in life either. Never say never, I suppose.

Comments

Popular Posts