Get new posts by email:

Never Get a Second Chance to Make a First Impression (Watch_Dogs)

Got both Watch Dogs games from PS store for under $20. They're on sale thru May 28, 2020. Thank God unemployment money can be spent on games!

Struggling with a migraine today so that might have something do with my lukewarm feeling about the first 15 minutes of the game. My character, Aiden, has to sleep now that he's back at his hideout which sounds lovely in real life right now. But I slept away the better portion of the day already. Not that the world would end if I don't play today, but still, I'm intrigued enough by the game to put in a few hours at least before I pass out again.

A few hours later...
Ummm...okay...so my feeling about the game has changed but not for the better. First things first, IDGAF about our protagonist, Aiden. There's been no effort to explain his motivations or make him more sympathetic. Then there's his sister who is TSTL. That's too stupid to live. I'll tell you this much: if my brother's illegal activity got my 6 year old daughter killed, there's no way in hell he'd get anywhere near my family again.

But really I think I could forgive all that if the game could decide just what genre it wants to be. Is it a looter-shooter? Is it a car chase game? Is it puzzled based (which would make the most sense seeing as we are supposed to be hackers)? Let's put it this way there were fewer car chases and shoot outs in GTAV than I've endured in this game in just the first ten hours of play. And with as car chase heavy as the game is, driving is the skill tree with the fewest branches. Yes, I get I'm supposed to use my hacker abilities to out smart the pursuers with obstacles, but simply asking me to believe that a cyber-criminal is some Navy SEAL spec ops race car driving badass is really asking too much to begin with.

Which brings me to my next point. Aiden is not only the Robin Hood type, but also a vigilante. What?! Because even though he himself is a criminal Aiden is compelled to fight crime on the streets too. Huh? Feels as though this story was written by a pack of middle school boys or at least written for them because anyone with half a brain isn't gonna accept all these inconsistencies, no questions asked.

All that being said, I'm not a quitter so I'mma hang in there and see if this mass of boiled spaghetti with no butter untangles itself. TBC....

Comments

Popular Posts