Get new posts by email:

Caught Myself Being Sexist, DAYS GONE

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

If you haven't reached part 4 of DAYS GONE and want it to be a surprise, STOP READING NOW!
********
********
********
********
********

Once I reached the reunion of Deacon and Sarah, I was all prepared to rant about her behavior. Her standoffish irritated me. After all Deek had been through to find her, the hope he held out against all odds, all the time he spent out in the shit, never settling down because he COULDN'T make a home without her. And she had the nerve to treat him like a pair of socks she wasn't that fond of? Hmmm.

Finally, Deacon himself comments on it and her reply left me feeling sheepish. Dammit. I caught myself being sexist. Throughout the game, Deek does as he dang well sees fit and I cheered each time. When she didn't run into his arms and abandon something she felt was important, when she wasn't NICE, I took offense to her behavior. Because women are supposed to be nice, aren't they?

The game does a wonderful job of portraying this contrast. In one cut scene she chastises Deacon for being "a d!ck" to Jim the security guard, back when the world was normal, back when she COULD be nice. After the outbreak, all that death, doing unspeakable things to survive, of course she'd be changed! If the game played out any other way, we'd have to call bull$h!t because no one goes through that kind of hell without becoming hardened, jaded, and downright ornery. Sarah sums it up beautifully when she says "Nothing has happened to me that hasn't happened to every f#@king person on this planet."

When I watched that cutscene, I did my best Homer Simpson, "Doh!" and scrapped the blog post I had been working on. So, there's your proof, in case there was any doubt, women CAN be sexist toward other women. We're just as programed to expect certain behavior out of each other as men are. My sincerest apologies to my entire gender 🙏

Comments

Popular Posts